Plymouth Approves Seeking Bids to Demolish Four Seasons Mall
Four Seasons Mall Planned for Demolition This Winter
The Plymouth City Council unanimously approved going out for bids to tear down the former Four Seasons Mall. The vote occurred at Tuesday night’s meeting. The city purchased the property in June 2021 with the intent of demolishing the building and selling the property to a developer.
“I’ve been looking forward to this day since we bought the property,” said Plymouth City Council member Jim Davis about the vote to seek bids.
The city plans to hire a contractor to do the demolition work this winter. One reason for the added urgency to tear down the mall is the city has seen an increase in illegal activity on the property, including break-ins and graffiti. City officials say they’ve spent $11,000 so far to board up windows.
“We’ve also been getting a lot of push from area residents, just with unsightliness and complaints,” said Michael Thompson, the city’s public works director.
The cost to do the demolition could range near $1.5 million, city documents show. The work would be paid for by Transit Fund reserves, since a portion of the site is planned to become a Plymouth Metrolink park-and-ride lot. The city hopes to eventually recoup those costs through the sale of the property.
Four Seasons Mall has sat empty for 10 years. One proposal to build a Walmart on the property didn’t receive city support. Another proposal later by Dominium to turn the property into affordable apartments, retail and restaurants fell through due to financing issues. The city ended up buying the property from Walmart.
Apartments Proposed for Four Seasons Site
The city of Plymouth is currently working with Saint Paul-based Wellington Management to redevelop the Four Seasons site. Wellington has proposed a 412-unit apartment project for the property. However company officials say rising construction costs have slowed the process.
“The construction costs environment has drastically changed,” said Casey Dzieweczynski, vice president of development with Wellington Management.
Dzieweczynski told the city council that estimated construction costs for the project have increased about $18 million since it submitted its initial proposal about a year ago.
Wellington is trying to negotiate a tax-increment-financing package with the city to make the project work. The company also hopes construction costs and interest rates will calm down to allow it to move forward.
The city, meanwhile, has submitted a grant application with the Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development to help recoup costs for site preparation.
“Our goal all along is not to make money or lose money. We just want to broker a deal to get this site redeveloped,” said Thompson.