Governor Walz Bonding Proposal Includes $100 Million for Northwest Metro Projects
A closer look inside Governor Tim Walz’s bonding proposal revealed last week includes more than $100 million for projects in the northwest suburbs.
One of them includes $4 million designated for a new police station in Crystal. The current police building does not meet code requirements. The police station would be part of a new city hall campus. The total project cost is $13.8 million.
The governor’s bonding plan also includes money for the following local projects:
- $8.5 million for improvements at the recently renamed Mississippi Gateway Regional Park. The former Coon Rapid Dam Park will receive a total of $12.5 million in improvements, including a new Mississippi Gateway Center, a “nature highline” walkway, a “mini-Mississippi” water play feature, trails and picnic shelters. The Three Rivers Park District is leading the project in partnership with the city of Brooklyn Park.
- $6.6 million for a new North Hennepin Community College performing arts space. The project, called the Center for Innovation and the Arts, features a new arts education studio, classrooms and performing arts space.
- $15 million to the city of Plymouth to renovate and expand the Plymouth Creek Center. The total project cost is $52 million.
- A total of $20 for flood risk reduction projects across the state. Golden Valley is among the cities listed for There’s also funding for flood reduction work.
- $50 million proposed to convert Highway 252 into a freeway between Highway 610 and I-694 in Brooklyn Park and Brooklyn Center. The project could possibly include adding MnPASS lanes. Highway 252 currently has five intersections in MnDOT’s top 100 statewide crash rankings.
- $18 million designated in Maple Grove to extend Highway 610 to County Road 30. Currently, Highway 610 has only partial connections to I-94. The extension to Count Road 30 would help take congestion off I-94.
- $6.5 million to expand the North Metro Range regional law enforcement training facility in Maple Grove.
Brooklyn Center | Brooklyn Park | Crystal | Golden Valley | Maple Grove | Plymouth