Stretch of Highway 55 in Plymouth Will Receive Upgrades
A stretch of Highway 55 near the Station 73 Transit Center in Plymouth will receive several upgrades in the coming years that will make it better for pedestrians, bikes, buses, and cars.
Because it will help several types and facets of transportation, it’s being called a “multimodal effort.”
“It will make transit more efficient and just regular day-to-day traffic more efficient and safer,” said Michael Thompson, public works director. “We’re excited to get going on this in the coming years.”
The project is called the Station 73 Transit and Regional Improvement Program (TRIP). It’s centered around the Station 73 Transit Center at the intersection of Highway 55, County Road 73, and South Shore Drive. There have been more than 100 crashes in that area in the last 10 years.
The project calls for several improvements, some of which help improve pedestrian safety.
“Highway 55 is one of the larger barriers in Plymouth, especially for pedestrians in making safe crossings,” said Thompson. “This project not only addresses that, it ties in with a regional trail with the Three Rivers Park District and it acts as an access to Station 73 for those bus platforms.”
A federal grant of $15 million will go toward the estimated $25 million price tag for the project. Improvements would be coordinated with partnering agencies like MnDOT, Met Council, Hennepin County, and Three Rivers Park District and phased in over a few years starting in 2023.
Other TRIP improvements would include:
- Reconstructing 0.2 miles of Highway 55 with improved pavement
- Adding two in-line bus platforms on Highway 55 for faster, more convenient service
- Constructing one mile of new multi-use path connection, which would also include an underpass under Highway 55. This would link to regional trails and include a railroad trail crossing.
- Constructing a pedestrian refuge
- Constructing a new roundabout at the intersection of South Shore Drive and 10th Avenue North to improve traffic flow
- Realigning some of County Road 73 to match alignment with South Shore Drive
- Implementing mobility hub upgrades like wayfinding, a bike fix-it station, e-bike or e-scooter charging area, and dedicated area for rideshare at Station 73
- Improving stormwater systems