Osseo Area Schools Will Kick Off Year With Distance Learning
Osseo Area Schools will have distance learning for the first two weeks beginning on Sept. 14. The model will shift to hybrid on Sept. 28.
Superintendent Cory McIntyre called for an emergency school board meeting Friday morning to talk about a revised recommendation. The board approved the recommendations after voting to delay the start of school earlier this week.
- The first day of school for all students will be Monday, Sept. 14
- For the first two weeks of the school year (Sept 14-25), all students will be taught in the distance learning model (100% remote learning)
- On Monday, Sept. 28, all students (except those who are already enrolled in the Distance Learning Academy) will transition to the hybrid model, which means: Group A students will attend school in person on Monday and Wednesday, and do remote learning on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday.
- Group B students will attend school in person on Tuesday and Thursday, and do remote learning on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. If you do not know your child’s hybrid group assignment, please check your ParentVUE account or contact your child’s school.
In a letter to parents, the superintendent said the recommendation will allow the school year to get underway while providing more time for staff preparations that includes hiring additional staff. The additional time will also provide additional staff training in the hybrid model.
I know these are extremely trying times for families and staff. In a typical year, we would know what school “should” look like. This year, however, because of the COVID-19 pandemic, change is the only constant, and it is testing our collective spirit. I sincerely appreciate your patience and understanding as we navigate these challenging times. I know our staff can’t wait to see your children, whether on screen or face to face, and to build relationships with them. –Superintendent Cory McIntyre
Parents and students told CCX that the district is going in the right direction. While COVID-19 cases have declined slightly in Hennepin County, some parents are still worried about kids being in the buildings.
“My major ongoing concern is that the district may not be responsive enough to the increase in case numbers. We saw a big increase two weeks after Fourth of July. We may see another increase two weeks after Labor Day. I hope this decision gives us the time to watch the data closely,” said Deb Miedema, an Osseo district parent.
“Glad that directors at the board decided to put students well-being before anything else. We all want to go back to school but the most important thing is keeping people safe. The best thing is to have some kind of buffer with distance learning before hand,” said Sawyer Miedema, a Maple Grove Senior High student.
The school board approved the revised recommendation by a 4-1 vote. Board member Heather Douglass was not in support of distance learning. She said education is critical when it comes to physical and mental health. Douglass continued to say the school is prepared and ready to accept students in the buildings.
“I feel like this good news (declining COVID-19 cases) further enforces that we follow the perimeters set forth by Emergency Executive Order 20-82 and MDH, which indicates that we can safely open our schools in a hybrid model,” said Douglass.
Parents can learn more about the district’s plans on the district’s website.