First MN Student COVID-19 Death from Hennepin County
State education officials have announced the first student death from COVID-19. Authorities say the teen, in the 15 to 19 age group, is from Hennepin County. The teen’s name has not been released.
“The loss of this student is a tragedy that every educator will feel,” said Denise Specht, president of Education Minnesota, in a statement to CCX News. “We’re asking parents to please reduce the risk of another tragic death of a student by vaccinating their teens.”
In addition, there were two deaths of staff members announced this week, bringing the state total this school year to five.
Cases decline in schools
The number of COVID-19 cases in schools, meanwhile, has declined. Cases peaked at the end of last month.
On Thursday, the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) updated its list of schools with five or more cases over a two-week period. Meadow Ridge Elementary in Plymouth was added to that list.
That makes 22 total schools in the CCX News viewing area, the Twin Cities northwest suburbs, with reported outbreaks since the school year began.
The list doesn’t necessarily mean coronavirus infections were transmitted in schools. It only means students or staff members were infectious while in a school building. Schools are removed from the MDH list once they report no new infections for four weeks.
Schools in the northwest suburbs with five or more cases that remain on the list include:
- Armstrong High School
- Brooklyn Middle School
- Brooklyn Center Elementary
- Champlin Park High School
- Cooper High School
- Fernbrook Elementary, Maple Grove
- Jackson Middle, Champlin
- Maple Grove Middle School
- Maple Grove High School
- Maranatha Christian, Brooklyn Park
- Meadow Ridge Elementary, Plymouth
- North Woods Elementary, Plymouth
- Oxbow Creek Elementary, Brooklyn Park
- Park Center HS
- Parnassus Preparatory, Maple Grove
- Providence Academy, Plymouth
- Rice Lake Elementary, Maple Grove
- Robbinsdale Spanish Immersion, New Hope
- Rush Creek Elementary, Maple Grove
- Wayzata High School
- Weaver Lake Elementary, Maple Grove
- Woodland Elementary, Brooklyn Park