Brooklyn Park Expected to Approve Feb. 8 Special Election for Vacant Council Seat
The Brooklyn Park City Council is expected to approve the timeline for electing a new city council member to fill a vacant seat.
The East District council seat in Brooklyn Park has been vacant since Lisa Jacobson won a special election for mayor. Since there’s more than a year left on her term, the city’s charter says the city must hold a primary and a special election.
However, because it’s a redistricting year, there are limitations on when an election can be held. So, the city had to amend the city’s charter to be able to have just a special election with no primary.
The date for the special election is scheduled to be Feb. 8, with candidate filing opening up on Nov. 30.
The following timetable would apply:
• October 11, 2021 – City Council orders special election
• November 4 and 11 – Notice published of candidacy filing period
• November 30 – Candidate filing opens
• December 14 – Candidate filing closes
• December 24 – Absentee ballot voting begins for special election
• February 7 – In person absentee voting closes at 5 p.m.
• February 8 – Special Election Day
To read more, click here.