Deteriorating Alleys Prompt Robbinsdale Policy Change
Despite the worsening condition of alleys in Robbinsdale, homeowners weren’t petitioning to have them fixed because the city had been planning to assess the full cost of the repair to the residents who live along the alley.
As a result, the Robbinsdale City Council voted earlier this month to change its assessment policy.
Now, the city will pay 25 percent of the assessed cost. Residents who border the alley will pay the remaining 75 percent.
“With that new contribution toward the cost of reconstruction of alleys, we’re also taking a look at that for the budgeting. We’re also looking at the number of alleys that are getting into extremely bad condition, and making sure that we start having a regular process of constructing so many alleys a year,” said Robbinsdale City Manager Marcia Glick.
The life expectancy of an alley is roughly 30 years.