Fire Destroys Brooklyn Center Home
A Brooklyn Center family is trying to pick up the pieces after a two-alarm fire swept through their home.
Flames broke out in the 7200 block of Camden Avenue north, around 4 a.m. Sunday.
“I woke up to beeping, and I heard screaming and yelling,”said resident Lisa Cameron. “The smoke was so strong. I couldn’t even breath. I couldn’t see anything. It was dark.”
Charred wood and metal are all that is left of the home. The inside was gutted by flames. Cameron and six others, including two children, were inside the home when the fire broke out.
Cameron says the fire started in the garage and quickly spread. All the victims scrambled to get out, and they make it, but just with the clothes on their backs.
“We heard more popping and banging from the fire, so we all just booked it to the cars,” explained Cameron.
But not everyone was so lucky. Five cats died in the fire.
“I blame myself for not getting them out, but I didn’t have time,” said Cameron, sobbing.
The family is still in shock, wondering what’s next after such a devastating loss.
“This doesn’t happen to me, it happens to other people,” said Cameron. “I don’t know what’s worse; seeing our lives get burnt or the aftermath.”
Fire officials say it’s too early to determine a cause. Fire departments from West Metro, Robbinsdale and Brooklyn Park helped to put out the fire. Crews also had to come back to the home a second time because it rekindled.
Meanwhile, the family is staying at a hotel, a Go-fund me account has been set up if anyone would like to help the family: https://www.gofundme.com/5046aj4